This is my all-time favorite tank and I wanted to build it for a long time; I already had Italieri and PST kits and I was ready for a kitbash. However, when I heard Zvezda will release its own version (a snap fit), and knowing the quality of its earlier releases (T34, Tiger I and Panther Ausf D), I decided to wait. And the wait was worthwhile. This is not a comprehensive review, just a few shots with the main parts (I didn’t removed the flash on any part, just detached it from the sprues).
The upper hull (Zvezda on the left, Italieri in the middle, and PST on the right). Italieri’s hull is a little bit short, both Zvezda and PST seem to have the right proportions, Zvezda has the nicest details of all:
Lower hulls (same order). I took an extra shot with Zvezda’s lower hull, looks like Dragon style, with superb details :
Gun barrels. I added the metal Aber barrel just for comparison. I don’t know if I’m right, but I think this is Zvezda’s only soft spot: the gun muzzle brake is maybe a little too short.
The turrets. Italieri is the only one with a very nice cast texture (present on the hull also). All Zvezda hatches are closed (maybe another minus).
General shots with Zvezda kit sprues. The DSzK 12.7mm machine gun has amazing details, and I think is the best plastic replica in 1/72.
I think the conclusion is obvious: Zvezda IS-2 is the best on the 1/72 market today.
All the IS-2 Series by Florin:
- Comparison: https://shop.1-72depot.com/?p=9354
- MasterClub bolts: https://shop.1-72depot.com/?p=80669
- OKB Grigorov resin tracks: https://shop.1-72depot.com/?p=80670
- Turret Construction: https://shop.1-72depot.com/?p=80668
- Construction Done: https://shop.1-72depot.com/?p=80671
- Base Coat: https://shop.1-72depot.com/?p=80672
- Finished Model: https://shop.1-72depot.com/?p=80673