F-4 /F-4A Lightning
5 decal variants
1. F-4A-1-LO, 3rd Photo Group, Laghouat, Algeria, April 1943
2. F-4-LO, of No 1 PRU, RAAF, Coomalie Creek, Australia, 1943
3. F-4-LO, of 8PRS, Port Moresby, 1943. Later No.75 Aq. RAAF
4. F-4C, of the 8PRG at Barrackpur, India, 1943
5. F-4A, of 1st Sgn. of GR II/33, Henri Pomigliano d’Arco, Italy, 1944
The F-4 was a purpose built photographic reconnaissance version of the P-38 Lightning, built on the production line at the same time as the P-38E and F. The P-38E featured a revised nose wheel, which provided more space for gun ammunition. The same space allowed. Ninety nine F-4-1s were built, based on the P-38E. They carried two K-17 fixed vertical cameras in place of the guns. Unlike the standard P-38E, the F-4-1 could carry external fuel tanks. The F-4-1 was the first version of the Lightning to see active service, with the 8th Photo Reconnaissance Squadron in Australia, beginning in April 1942.
This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
No results found.